We have recently added this new section to our website which focuses on innovation. Our aim here is to create a place where new ideas and practices can be shared (and eventually discussed) in a public space. These are ideas and practices that are being developed in multiple and surprising venues, beyond the walls of the foundation. They are ideas and practices that we feel can accelerate change or shift the direction of the status quo toward new thinking and opportunity, both within our institutions and outside in our communities.
- Creating health justice involves tackling tough problems – like poverty and racism. These issues are long-term, complex and dynamic, yet our traditional ways of working focus on one issue or one solution at a time.
- There are a lot of shifts happening in our environment – demographic changes, economic crises, the creation of new tools and technologies.
- Foundations are in a unique position to support and diffuse innovation. Through our grant making and external relationships, we gather new ideas. Our resources enable us to catalyze, share, and advance innovation both inside the Foundation and out in the community. Our requirement to pursue social good, to act consistent with our mission, and to serve as good stewards of our resources create the ideal conditions for thoughtful risk-taking and the promotion of cutting edge ideas and practices.
What do we mean by innovation?
- Developing new and different ways of seeing, thinking and talking
- Bringing new voices into our public conversations and engaging new leaders in transforming systems and communities
- Introducing and adapting new concepts and programs to our local community that have been tested elsewhere